Two Spoke Forums banner

6781 - 6800 of 6824 Posts

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
For several years now, i waited for family to purchase bike stuff for me for Christmas.
Receiving only a few items in my stocking over those years, i decided that THIS was the year to BECOME THE REAL SANTA.

As items come in, I’ll post them. Just just don’t tell my family.

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Had a friend help lift the 249 pounds of saw up today. Assembly is complete but now it's time for all the fine adjustments. He also gave me 2 8 ft X40" walnut rough cut boards today, If you've priced walnut lately you'll know this is quite a gift!
IMG_2916.jpg

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
With the price of walnut boards, someone may need to fill out a gift tax return.
I have one board that when milled through the thickness planer will end up 4/4 and another will be closer to 5/4. i'm going to "beg" ( he has probably 20 pieces in his garage from his ex father in law who apparently has a garage full of it and think it's junk because it was rough cut/sawn and been in his garage for years so it's good and dry. Kind of like finding that garage kept 68 split window Vette :D)) for 2 more from him because at 11.10 per board ft free is pretty damn good right now. I tried to order some padauk to make a mallet and can't even find it right now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Had a friend help lift the 249 pounds of saw up today. Assembly is complete but now it's time for all the fine adjustments. He also gave me 2 8 ft X40" walnut rough cut boards today, If you've priced walnut lately you'll know this is quite a gift!
View attachment 50044
Simply a thing of beauty! That is if your into wood working power equipment! I use to lathe and appreciate such things!

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Simply a thing of beauty! That is if your into wood working power equipment! I use to lathe and appreciate such things!
Thanks man! I haven't used a lathe since high school shop classes. I definitely have a keen interest in trying to get back into that. Opens a whole new path for bench and table legs :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
20201213_093342.jpg
These I turned down on a lathe from 2” x 2” turning blocks. The one on the right was special made resin infused with burl to create a hybrid set with a silver tip badger bristle. The left I found online and is what is called FET (Finest European Teak).

I may get into this again as I would make a few to sell but mainly, enjoyed doing it. This is my other hobby, old time straight razor shaving! Don’t even ask about the collection of straight razors I have.....that is another story!

Enjoy the saw, it is truly a nice setup.

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
View attachment 50048 These I turned down on a lathe from 2” x 2” turning blocks. The one on the right was special made resin infused with burl to create a hybrid set with a silver tip badger bristle. The left I found online and is what is called FET (Finest European Teak).

I may get into this again as I would make a few to sell but mainly, enjoyed doing it. This is my other hobby, old time straight razor shaving! Don’t even ask about the collection of straight razors I have.....that is another story!

Enjoy the saw, it is truly a nice setup.
Those are pretty cool ( was that epoxy used for that one?) and I see you can get turning billets reasonably priced...I suppose at least vs paying per board ft :D

You can't just throw that out there and AT LEAST give us a sneak peak at your collection!! I'd be very interested in seeing it!

·
Mom's Taxi
4,485 Posts
A friend was given a couple of logs of redwood. He used his Alaska saw mill to cut the boards. He left the boards pretty thick, because he could always cut them thinner. When he moved to Texas he was transporting them on an open trailer. He said every time he stopped people were asking if they could touch the boards. His wife just posted a couple of pictures of tables he made from the redwood. They look great.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Those are pretty cool ( was that epoxy used for that one?) and I see you can get turning billets reasonably priced...I suppose at least vs paying per board ft :D

You can't just throw that out there and AT LEAST give us a sneak peak at your collection!! I'd be very interested in seeing it!
I will post a few of them later. Bet you can guess which country I like best for straight razors....lol

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
View attachment 50072 Here are three German beauties and one English good ole shaver on top right. The one German beauty with the bone scales and black spade is nearly 100 years old!

This is just 4 of the 24 I have meticulously put together last several years.
I like the one top right in this photo. Very nice looking set you have there.

·
404 Posts
While theoretically "unnecessary", I decided to add a small amount of bling with red, Wellgo M194 pedals to match the bike color(!). I already have them in black, and love the low weight, 240 grams/pair, and tremendous grip they provide (especially with grippy soled shoes like Five Ten Freeriders and Bontrager Flatlines).

Best regards

Attachments

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,800
While theoretically "unnecessary", I decided to add a small amount of bling with red, Wellgo M194 pedals to match the bike color(!). I already have them in black, and love the low weight, 240 grams/pair, and tremendous grip they provide (especially with grippy soled shoes like Five Ten Freeriders and Bontrager Flatlines).

Best regards
I need to get me a nice set of flats for my Clubman. These are really good looking peddles.

6781 - 6800 of 6824 Posts