Two Spoke Forums banner
6941 - 6960 of 6962 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
I go to yard sales whenever I see a sign, always looking for "that bike" .... glad you found it if I couldn't.
I wish you luck in the search! It took me more than a few years and quite a few garage sales to hit lucky. I hope you do, too.

chromoly steel is real frame too I'm betting.....my 1992 rh comp is.....
Indeed, the frame and fork are both cromo. From the 'Designed in the US, Made in Taiwan' era.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
i cut the last half of that sticker off mine....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked my last one up at a thrift store. It was about $40 but, it needed new tires, inner tubes, and tire liners, and the chain needed a good cleaning and greasing. Simple stuff, really...
Cost me about $125 when all was said and done but, that included rear folding baskets, lights, and a biking computer. None of those are strictly necessary, but I can tell you when I've made a new record speed carrying two weeks' worth of groceries in the evening. and apart from this i recently purchase pokemon fire red cheats here as i love to play games and travel so yea.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Pretty minor stuff, new pair of shorts and gloves - first new pair of each in a long while.

LBS real low on any inventory of any kind.

I know Dick's isn't exactly the place that most serious cyclists buy their stuff but some of my favorite shorts are their Louis Garneau bike shorts - the gel is exactly in-between and perfect for me, positioned perfectly, they're manufactured well, and the fit is always perfect for me and they last a long time.

The drawstring is weird, never had bike shorts with a drawstring. But I don't notice it being in the way or making a bump when I pull my shirt down or anything. Seems to be non-useful for me but doesn't get in the way.

So I thought I'd try a pair of their bike gloves too. So far so good - not too much padding, pretty cool, the bit of yellow makes for good turn signaling, nicely stitched.

I don't know who this Louis Garneau guy is but he makes pretty good bike stuff.

·
1,906 Posts
My old Exposure light died so I did some research and decided on Outbound Lighting, a small American company out of Chicago that was launched by a kick starter in 2017. Great light, three-year warranty, wide beam pattern with an automotive cut off design so the lumens aren’t just blasting into space. High is 1500 lumens with 2.8 hours on high which is frankly unheard of. Only downside is the external battery but that’s a small price to pay. Best light I’ve owned.
Bicycle Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle wheel rim
Photograph Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Vehicle Bicycle part

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
My old Exposure light died so I did some research and decided on Outbound Lighting, a small American company out of Chicago that was launched by a kick starter in 2017. Great light, three-year warranty, wide beam pattern with an automotive cut off design so the lumens aren’t just blasting into space. High is 1500 lumens with 2.8 hours on high which is frankly unheard of. Only downside is the external battery but that’s a small price to pay. Best light I’ve owned. View attachment 53232 View attachment 53233 View attachment 53234 View attachment 53232 View attachment 53233 View attachment 53234
Very nice, at first glance without knowing I would have said that was a NightRider.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
yeah, that's about $50 more than 5 sets of light battery and chargers that are 1200, 2 1600, a 2000 and a 3400 lumen LEDs I switched to. All Cree T6 LED, single except 3400 lumen has 3. One set has lo/med/hi and the rest have med/hi/strobe settings. All have battery small enough to hang from stem or be helmet mounted with battery in camelbak and all will go at least 3 hrs on hi setting. I quit spending big money on lighting after coupla nightsun nickel cadnium halogen sets that paled in comparison to these. Have ridden in all weather conditions and temps with no failures except one of the 1600 lumen chargers. I can use the other to charge both. I rode one time with 2 1600 on handlebars and 1200 on helmet and it was like riding with baja offroad truck lighting...super crazy bright like daylight....I hardly ever need more than one on the bars even doing singletrack offroad stuff. wasn't able to outride them on the trails either.....so no more wallet emptying for lights for me. $25 shipped for 4 of them and the 3400 lumen setup was $35 shipped.

Here, like this.....just bought another 1200 lumen setup for $19.07 shipped from USA seller.

White Light Camera accessory Camera lens Automotive lighting

search for cree T6 XML.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
I am not naive about claimed lumens vs what a laboratory might measure......and for price and performance do not care......what I do know that all of these are bright af and small battery lasts 3 hrs. 3400 lumen one is bright as my halogen brights on my truck with long a throw like a Qbeam spot. you can also score one that has solid mount vs rubber bands but have never had issue with those failing or holding light in place even offroad. comes with bands for 25.4 and 31.8 bars. Gitcha some.

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
I like those lights.

I tried the bargain-basement route a while ago, but back then the products were a lot less refined, and I was not pleased .... it was a very cheap experiment, and I was glad because the lights sucked. Next time I will trust that advancing tech has made the lights durable .... I mean, anything endorsed by the Flying Cyclist is surely good enough for the Plodding Snail.

·
tall old member
1,361 Posts
I just bought a new headlight/ taillight on Amazon on Monday. They delivered them today. I really could have used them yesterday. From the picture I expected the headlight to be about the size of a cell phone only thicker. It’s not, it’s just a tiny little thing. The ad said 7,000 lumens but I don’t believe it. I’ll try it and see how it does. I don’t plan on night riding, I have had too many encounters with animals riding at night. I’ll use it if I’m out and lose track of time and have to come home in the dark and I’ll use it in tunnels. I like tunnels but you have to have a good light.
Hand Communication Device Camera Finger Camera accessory
Couch Light Comfort Lighting Wood

6941 - 6960 of 6962 Posts