Two Spoke Forums banner
7061 - 7080 of 7195 Posts

· Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,195 Posts
Bumper Wood Tints and shades Automotive exterior Carbon
I have a way of putting off glove replacement for too long. This time, I flew right past 'afraid to wash them lest they disintegrate' and well into the actual disintegration. When it became clear even to me that the old ones were done, I swapped to an older, backup set not quite as ready to fall apart.

It wasn't a financial thing so much as color-based: I wanted red gloves, and from one of a couple of specific brands. No luck. I finally broke down and picked these up. Hard to go wrong with basic black.

· Registered
7,720 Posts
This one hurt. A lot.
I despise car dealers and they currently have us over a barrel, but i felt as if i didn’t have a choice. I almost walked out twice during the deal. Slimy SOBs.

We recently purchased the one on the left, because the one on the right went over 200,000 miles and i wasn’t comfortable seeing my wife leave Town in it anymore. Not that it isn’t running well…..just those miles.

Yes. We have a thing for white vehicles with black glass roofs.

Car Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle

6,195 Posts
This one hurt. A lot.
I despise car dealers and they currently have us over a barrel, but i felt as if i didn’t have a choice. I almost walked out twice during the deal. Slimy SOBs.

We recently purchased the one on the left, because the one on the right went over 200,000 miles and i wasn’t comfortable seeing my wife leave Town in it anymore. Not that it isn’t running well…..just those miles.

Yes. We have a thing for white vehicles with black glass roofs.

View attachment 55078
This is an especially terrible time to find yourself in need of a car. Grr. I hope it serves her well.

6,195 Posts
After my recent crash, I came up needing a new handlebar bag. Here it is. This replacement is also one reason, a big one, why I paddled 10mi today instead of setting out to ride my age somewhere cool. Paddling my age is definitely out of the question for now, at least: 10mi took me 5hrs. I'm 48 today, so we'd be talking a multi-day paddling trip. I'm actually quite intrigued by the idea, but not this year. Now I will be able to carry my DSLR when I head out on my touring bike.
Product Luggage and bags Bag Cloud Gadget

6,195 Posts
Not my purchase, but Mrs. Newleaf decided I needed a new Camelbak. Turns out, I've had my present one since March of 2016. It's gotten...tired. A couple of days ago, the fabric on top tore in the course of a bladder refill. Hooray for belated b-day gifts :cool:.
Plant Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Bag Backpack
The old one when it was new, back in March of 2016.

Product Luggage and bags Backpack Bag Curtain
Same pack as the above pic on the right, but after some 6 years and 10k+ mi. New one on the left, getting prepped for battle.

6,195 Posts
Two immediate responses .... you have enough teeth to make forty sets of dentures, and that derailleur is frighteningly close to being a kickstand.
Dentures! :ROFLMAO:

That, my friend, is what a 12-46 cogset looks like when mounted on a 20" wheel. This was never intended (by me) and happened as the result of a complicated miscommunication. I took my recumbent and Mrs. Newleaf's unicorn fat bike in for service at the same time. This setup was intended for her fat bike, but ended up mounted on my 'bent. I have the exact same hardware on my touring bike and love it. I felt it would make a great difference on Mrs. Newleaf's 26" fat bike, but it proved incompatible.

I chose to keep the setup to see what it felt like to ride. Partly because the 'normie' hardware I needed was then on indefinite back order. The bike already climbed like a champ with an 11-32 cogset. The 12-46 cost me a bit of top end, but I can still hit 35mph easily enough. With the 11-tooth, similar effort on the same hill netted a bit over 40mph. Then it felt like it'd spin out somewhere around 45mph. The low end is just crazy overkill on a wheel this size, as expected. Even as much as I love crazy low gears, 46 teeth on a 20" wheel is just too much.

Your point on the derailleur is also well taken. A long cage on this wheel is not what I'd call wise. I've never liked it but chose to give it a try. A saving grace is that thanks to the crazy low gearing, I spend most of my time in higher gears, even on hills. Nevertheless, I think this part of the drive train will not be a part of this particular bike for long. I think an 11-36 might be more appropriate to the wheel size.

At first reading,. I thought you meant she stole one for you.. :D
:D Apologies for my clear-as-mud prose. That is most certainly not what I meant :LOL:. It was delivered by Blue Santa, aka Amazon.

6,195 Posts
Time for a new-to-me bike trailer. Found at a random yard sale while I was out riding yesterday. I hope this will hold our two paddle boards for excursions to a nearby lake. Though there's plenty of room on the water, parking spaces are at a premium on weekends.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle accessory

Wheel Tire Plant Bicycle wheel rim Motor vehicle

Bicycle Wheel Tire Window Bicycle frame
The trailer hooked right up to my touring bike. The frame clamp just clears the brake disc. All I need now are some new tires and tubes. The existing hardware does still roll and hold air, but dry rot has set in.

6,195 Posts
I set out in search of 20" tires for my recent garage sale find trailer. Not sure what the heck. I found 16", 18", and 24" tires in abundance. There were even a few 20" tires which were either too wide or too narrow. On the other hand, I found some new flats for the Montague X folding MTB.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Land vehicle

After coming up dry for tires at a couple of other places, I stopped in at junk shop and scored big:
Luggage and bags Product Bag Sleeve Travel
That's an apparently brand new set of Arkel GT-54 panners, complete. The one was stuffed into the other and the pair had clearly been there for a long time. I wasn't planning on spending quite this much, but they were even in my color and I couldn't turn them down for $105.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
I already had a set of rear panniers with which I was happy. I am even happier with these, I think. Their system of mounting is vastly better, for one of a few things.

· Old, fat, and slow
1,322 Posts
Arkel has been my dream pannier for decades ...... secure mounting, high quality, intelligent design. Now that I can afford them I cannot justify the cost of new ones because I have two old sets of low-budget bags which meet my needs ...... but I can own them vicariously through you.

6,195 Posts
I have always been an Arkel fan while still appreciating Ortlieb's products a lot. I am still sorry to have lost my Ortlieb monster bar bag due to a recent crash. Sorrier still to have replaced it with a like but smaller bag which proved to be more rust colored, less less actual red than I'd hoped.

Arkel's big bar bag is a little more than double the cost of Ortlieb's, but I think I made a mistake in going with the latter for a replacement over the former. I have a few sets of rear panniers, and Arkel's examples put the rest to shame. Vastly better. I think I'd like to explore their products further based upon what I've already seen.

7061 - 7080 of 7195 Posts