Two Spoke Forums banner
7081 - 7100 of 7113 Posts

·
Maturity Challenged
1,170 Posts
Small world...
A week ago, I got my old skateboard out of storage. I remember it being a lot easier to ride.
I lubed it and adjusted the trucks. It was still hard to ride.
I wonder if being 70 years old has anything to do with the difficulty? My balance seems okay, but I can't move quickly enough to stay on top of it well.

My first skateboard was made from an old roller skate nailed to a 1x6 piece of white pine (no graphics.) It didn't turn very well because of the steel wheels.

·
Mom's Taxi
5,659 Posts
Small world...
A week ago, I got my old skateboard out of storage. I remember it being a lot easier to ride.
I lubed it and adjusted the trucks. It was still hard to ride.
I wonder if being 70 years old has anything to do with the difficulty? My balance seems okay, but I can't move quickly enough to stay on top of it well.

My first skateboard was made from an old roller skate nailed to a 1x6 piece of white pine (no graphics.) It didn't turn very well because of the steel wheels.
My first skateboard was a 1x4 with a roller skate screwed to the bottom. It had rubber wheels.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,976 Posts
I bought a couple of tubes and a pair of 20x2.125 tires for the trailer.
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire
The existing tires get massive credit for holding together despite a good bit of sun damage and sitting around flat. Nevertheless, time for some new rubber. That's a new tire installed on the left, awaiting installation center, and an old tire on the right.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,325 Posts
barefoot on plywood half pipes, cement drainage troughs, empty pools......a world before skateparks and the emergence of them.....i missed keypunch cards but knew of them as well as cringing at the thought of a 2x4 with steel roller skate wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked my last one up at a thrift store. It was about $60 but it needed new tires, inner tubes, and tire liners, and the chain needed a good cleaning and greasing. Simple stuff, really...
Cost me about $125 when all was said and done but, that included rear folding baskets, lights, and a biking computer i ordered from UAE and received by truckoom(loader/packers). None of those are strictly necessary, but I can tell you when I've made a new record speed carrying two weeks' worth of groceries in the evening. and apart from this i recently purchase pokemon fire red cheats as i love to play games and travel so yea.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,976 Posts
Four of these, combination cadence/speed sensors. ANT+ and Bluetooth. Two were unpackaged and installed before I found my camera. These two will be going on the touring bike, if likely not in time for this weekend's big ride. I ordered a new head unit for the purpose, but blew the timing and won't receive it until after the fact.
Audio equipment Font Electronic instrument Gadget Technology
Please pardon the dog hair :).

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,976 Posts
I've carried this pump, a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP, for some 20k mi at this point. I would be hard pressed to begin remembering how many tires it's inflated. I figured it was worth upgrading to the hose with the built in pressure gauge.
Road surface Asphalt Concrete Font Circle
New one on the inside, veteran on the outside. The latter came with the pump and has never given me reason to complain, except now I don't have to carry a separate pressure gauge.

Installed.
Tool Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Nickel Gas
Note the fading on the metal tip of the veteran. My bikes live inside at all times save when in use or out on operations.

Well, leave one in the dark and look what happens! :D
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Office supplies Rectangle
After my luck with the pump on top, it seemed reasonable to grab another example come time to equip the recumbent. Note the electrical tape in the barrel of the older pump on top: early on, its cap began having trouble staying in place while the pump was in use. A couple wraps of tape resolved that easily. I'm curious whether the new one will need similar treatment after a few uses.

These are heavier than most want for an on-bike pump, but I would rather have equipment which is easier and more efficient to use than stuff which weighs less but makes an even bigger headache out of a flat tire. These guys are simple, relatively light for their type, and the one on top at least has proven reliable for almost a decade. I think I bought it back in 2013.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,976 Posts
A bit of schwag from the event I ride tomorrow.
Tin Drinkware Tin can Tableware Aluminum can
That's a cowbell and a beer mug which clips to about anything. Silly, but I like the sellers. If I ever had anything to do with pro racing, I'd buy one of their wheel hoops with 6 or 8 attached cow bells. This bell is small enough to ride around in my car for random encouragement when I pass a cyclist who looks like they need it.

·
tall old member
1,586 Posts
I bought some new Arkel panniers. They can be adjusted to work on either of my touring bikes but sadly it takes more than the few seconds they said it would. I ordered them over the weekend out of Canada where they are made. They have free two day shipping but I didn’t believe them. When I got home this morning they were on my porch. They look bad right now because they are empty. I’m sure they will look better when packed with gear.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Bicycle Vehicle

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,976 Posts
I bought some new Arkel panniers. They can be adjusted to work on either of my touring bikes but sadly it takes more than the few seconds they said it would. I ordered them over the weekend out of Canada where they are made. They have free two day shipping but I didn’t believe them. When I got home this morning they were on my porch. They look bad right now because they are empty. I’m sure they will look better when packed with gear.
View attachment 55271
View attachment 55272
Sweet panniers! Hard to make empty ones look right, but I like the looks of these. I hope you get a lot of happy miles out of them.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,976 Posts
I ordered this Garmin Edge 530 in anticipation of using it for the big event I recently rode. Unfortunately I failed to pull the trigger until too late. The device was delivered literally the day after I got home from the event. I did at least realize this in advance and so I rode with an Edge 500 instead.

I considered the Edge 830, but prefer hard buttons to a touch screen, so I went with the 530 despite the fact that the 830 reportedly does better at on-bike route searching.
Purple Art Rectangle Technology Electronic device
I tried a different approach in background material. Suffice it to say, that didn't work. By the time I figured that out, some of the pictured items were 'lost' to installation.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,208 Posts
Wife complains: "Why don't you ever organize your office?"

So .... I did some "organizing" and found an old Sony point/shoot camera .... decided to test it by shooting the brake pads I bought recently (I12Ride told me I should---I take no responsibility.)

Problem is ... I "organized" my brake pads to some place I haven't yet found.

I could be more happy ....

I decided that I had been remiss in any case because I bought a bunch of tires and some on-sale close-out Pearl Izumi bibs ... pulled them out to shoot instead ..... and found I had "organized" the charger for the camera to someplace near the brake pads (near as in "into the void.")

Best part is the camera is has a proprietary charging/downloading system (oh, joy) so the "new" camera is
now a new bit if clutter .... until I "organize" again, hopefully in a way which will cause the charger to turn up .... by which time, of course, the camera will have been "organized" into the void.

In the end I gave up and used my phone.

Sleeve Font Sportswear Wood Sunglasses

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Shoe Wood Walking shoe Grey Outdoor shoe

I thought I posted these a few weeks back.

When I returned to the shop to have my bike REfixed, i spotted these. I had just read good things about them in a popular rag and the price was right.

So far, the jury is out on them, because I’m getting serious right side hot foot and I’m not accustomed to the tightening system. I often adjust my old shoes easily by pressing a button to loosen or pulling up on a latch to tighten.
I find the old system MUCH easier to use.

Time will tell.
I wish i had additional cleats to put on the old shoes. This would make comparing the shoes much easier.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,325 Posts
This is longest I've gone in 30 years not buying something bike related..........I don't even feel like me anymore....but I am.

Bought a chunk of acrylic and screwed it to the wall so I can stare at my gravitational device when in my office/TV lounge.....

Computer desk Computer monitor Computer keyboard Audio equipment Table

.......makes it more believable to the wife that I only built it for display purposes.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,976 Posts
I have run an Ortlieb handlebar bag for years now and had no complaints. Then I broke it in a crash. In replacing it, I decided that I was tired of generic black and wanted something different. I got a smaller Ortlieb in 'rust' color since the largest model is offered only black. The new one works, but is just too small. I have been hemming and hawing over this for some time now.

Then I discovered that my first choice for replacement, Arkel's large handlebar bag, is to be discontinued :eek:. Well then. I had not planned on pulling the trigger quite so soon, but events forced my hand. Mine is hopefully on the way as of earlier this morning. It will be joined by a matching Arkel TailRider Trunk Bag. Those with the GT-54 set I recently found locally should make for a more color coordinated ride. Lots of cargo capacity, and room for more than just my DSLR up front. The present fit is so tight I lose time retrieving and stowing the camera. Not much, but it's annoying.

7081 - 7100 of 7113 Posts