Two Spoke Forums banner
7121 - 7140 of 7172 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
They are coming hot and heavy these days.
Sleeve Font Wood Auto part Musical instrument accessory
Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV to go with the Ice Cream Truck. It was instructive to keep yesterday's moderate leak topped off using my regular Lezyne, same model, just high pressure. It was even more so to inflate the fully flat tire using my full sized floor pump. Hopefully I won't need this thing for some time to come. If I do, it's at least the right tool for the job.

Sleeve Guitar accessory Font Bumper Gadget
We bought one of these adapters when Mrs. Newleaf's fat bike came home. Now that I have one too, it's time for a 2nd. The first can still handle a regular bike without issue. Hopefully this one will as well.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
This is getting expensive.
Lego Wood Toy Motor vehicle Font
Kryptonite New York Lock and 2ea 15" and 20" Voile straps.

Computer data storage Gadget Font Rectangle Electronics accessory
Stan's injector, a bottle of fluid, and a tubeless repair kit. Turns out that tubeless conversion cost a bit more than the bargain price for the actual conversion.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
The smart trainer over the 'dumb' trainers I've used these last years should at least be marginally, slightly, a bit more interesting and useful I hope ;)
I hope it is so, and more fun than you imagine. Despite access to a trainer and a treadmill, the only way I've managed to spend significant and regular time on either of them has been to play video games while I do it.

Careful! On the treadmill especially, I found I had an initial tendency to jump in the direction I wanted my character to move. Doesn't end well. Playing while riding the trainer was much easier, although I found that if I played GTA V, I ended up going crazy on the cranks every time my avatar became involved in a police chase. For the uninitiated, GTA V involves many, many police chases.

The workout resulting from this was wonderful while it lasted. Unfortunately, I can't manage the game play and exercise in an ergonomic manner. A couple of weeks' play lead to increasing back and shoulder pain. Bike or treadmill, different places. Looks like I'll be putting a bike on the trainer again this winter, so we'll see.

I prefer to ride outside during the winter, but there are still a lot of times when it's more convenient to ride inside. If only I can find a posture or stretch regimen which lets me game while spinning. I hope you're able to find something which works for you.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
There are quite a few videos out there showing people riding fat tire bikes in the snow.
I'm looking forward to exploring that this winter. I've logged thousands of winter miles on my studded tire equipped touring bike, but the fat bike promises to be a whole different experience. I'd still like to be able to ride the trainer in a meaningful way, but not in place of outdoor miles.

·
Registered
830 Posts
A few times I played my electric guitar while indoor biking - it was kind of a novelty because while I was doing it I couldn't devote 100% of my effort to either thing. It was fun to do a few times though.

I'd love to ride outside here but usually we have so much snow and wind it's unsafe, a few times many years ago we had a nearly snowless year but I have a hard time enjoying riding outside in the cold, even if I wear enough clothes to be warm. I envy yu guys who are in places where it's just a bit milder and you can ride outside.

We're retiring in 5 years and want to move somewhere a bit warmer so we can bike and run and hike throughout the whole year if possible.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,129 ·
I have accepted my bike bag addiction. I said I wouldn’t buy another single bag but even then I knew I was lying to myself. This is my new custom made Reload basket bag. 28 liters of sexiness that holds my tent, air mattress, sleeping bag and clothes.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
I have accepted my bike bag addiction. I said I wouldn’t buy another single bag but even then I knew I was lying to myself. This is my new custom made Reload basket bag. 28 liters of sexiness that holds my tent, air mattress, sleeping bag and clothes.
View attachment 55404
View attachment 55405
How could you pass up the chance at such a wonderful bag?! Of course it had to come home :D. Here's to lots of miles and even more smiles! (y)(y)

·
tall old member
1,609 Posts
Wow you guys have been spending money. I thought I would come on and post a picture of my new helmet. Haven’t visited this thread since I bought my new panniers. You have definitely outspent me.
I love my old helmet but they say you are supposed to replace them every few years. I think my helmet is over ten years old. I tried to buy my old helmet at the LBS but he didn’t have one big enough. I asked if they could order one in for me and he told me to just go online and find one. A few months later I was in his shop and he did have extra large helmets. Fast forward ten years and I went in to buy one of those XL helmets and the biggest he had was large. I tried one on and it was very snug. Well they are supposed to fit snug so I bought one.
Ten miles later I was getting a headache from it being too tight. I stopped and removed all the foam rubber padding strips. Much better fit now. I also have a new jersey I got for $1,000. Actually it was free for doing the September Challenge to raise money to fight childrens cancer. I rode over 400 miles and raised over $1,000.
Glasses Bicycle helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Helmet Goggles

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
I ordered this before heading out for MO and the Katy Trail. It didn't arrive in time for that, but Mrs. Newleaf was able to bring it to our meetup in FL. Meet my new Stem Captain. I hope this temp gauge will be a bit more reliable than the laughably inaccurate sensor on my Garmin.
Tire Bicycle tire Crankset Plant Automotive tire

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
After a recent ride where a sign warning of an aggressive bear caused me to turn back prematurely, I checked my existing can of spray and realized it's nearly expired. Time for a new can. I don't expect to need it on the CO Trail, but I try to make a habit of carrying spray when playing in bear country. Also, I am fortunate enough to get to visit the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area with some frequency. Bear spray is pretty much a must for me in the back country up there.
Brown Wood Font Drink Linens
Bear spray expires every few years not because the active ingredient breaks down or loses its effectiveness, but rather because the valve which releases the spray on actuation of the trigger breaks down over time and can only be reliably counted on to operate reliably for x# of years under pressure. It is true that expired cans of bear spray typically dribble more than they spray.
Hand Photographic film Fluid Wood Finger
Old on the left, new on the right. I was happy to find that the old spray's hard plastic holster works with the new stuff, too. It's one of the better options for belt carrying the spray. On the bike, I will most likely ride with the spray in my (soon to be purchased) second feed sack where it's easily accessible.
Baby & toddler clothing Sleeve T-shirt Collar Font
As a younger man, had anyone told me that one day I would not only buy a shirt of this color but be happy to find it, I'd likely have greeted the assertion with scornful profanity. Then I bought my Ice Cream Truck. Sometimes, a guy just wants to match his bike, even if that means aqua and purple duds :D.

·
Mom's Taxi
5,751 Posts
After a recent ride where a sign warning of an aggressive bear caused me to turn back prematurely, I checked my existing can of spray and realized it's nearly expired. Time for a new can. I don't expect to need it on the CO Trail, but I try to make a habit of carrying spray when playing in bear country. Also, I am fortunate enough to get to visit the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area with some frequency. Bear spray is pretty much a must for me in the back country up there.
View attachment 55531 Bear spray expires every few years not because the active ingredient breaks down or loses its effectiveness, but rather because the valve which releases the spray on actuation of the trigger breaks down over time and can only be reliably counted on to operate reliably for x# of years under pressure. It is true that expired cans of bear spray typically dribble more than they spray.
View attachment 55532 Old on the left, new on the right. I was happy to find that the old spray's hard plastic holster works with the new stuff, too. It's one of the better options for belt carrying the spray. On the bike, I will most likely ride with the spray in my (soon to be purchased) second feed sack where it's easily accessible.
View attachment 55533 As a younger man, had anyone told me that one day I would not only buy a shirt of this color but be happy to find it, I'd likely have greeted the assertion with scornful profanity. Then I bought my Ice Cream Truck. Sometimes, a guy just wants to match his bike, even if that means aqua and purple duds :D.
Guys don't care if anything matches. :)

7121 - 7140 of 7172 Posts