Two Spoke Forums banner
7161 - 7180 of 7195 Posts

· Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,197 Posts
Happy new bike day! That's quite a professional grade shot.

I would start with a helmet, gloves, and sun or prescription glasses. Add spare inner tubes for the front and rear tires, which are likely of different sizes. Tire levers, a pump, and a patch kit will round out a very bare bones spares setup.

· Registered
7,720 Posts
That’s the best cargo.

You will want flashing lights on the front and back. Helmet for your cargo.
Water bottle cage(s).

Keep that photographer contracted to follow you around and then post your pictures on the photos of your ride thread.

Congrats on the new ride.

· Registered
3 Posts
Happy new bike day! That's quite a professional grade shot.

I would start with a helmet, gloves, and sun or prescription glasses. Add spare inner tubes for the front and rear tires, which are likely of different sizes. Tire levers, a pump, and a patch kit will round out a very bare bones spares setup.
That’s the best cargo.

You will want flashing lights on the front and back. Helmet for your cargo.
Water bottle cage(s).

Keep that photographer contracted to follow you around and then post your pictures on the photos of your ride thread.

Congrats on the new ride.
Wow, thanks! These are really helpful tips.

6,197 Posts
Robbyn the Ice Cream Truck is getting new bags, and colorful ones at that! I fell in love with these on first seeing them, finally decided to pull the trigger recently. Mine are being shipped even as I type this 🥰. They should look like this:
Luggage and bags Bag Sleeve Magenta Font
Photo courtesy of Ortlieb and a review on Bikepacking.com.

I am uncertain my camping gear and style is suited to using these bags for bikepacking, but would love to be surprised. Even if not, I've been looking at some endurance events for which they seem perfect in terms of letting me bring a lot of food, clothing options, and assorted spares into very remote areas. Though the events I'm looking at are supported, I've found that the food available at past events is not always compatible with me, personally.

I really hate bonking, so I typically carry all my own food and use the support stations for liquid resupply. If they offer something I'm able to eat, I'll happily take it. If they don't, that was my expectation going in so it's all good. The hope is that the custom colors will work well with Robbyn's 'safety mask blue' frame and purple accents. I recently and happily transitioned away from Ortlieb bags on my touring bike, but the change was less out of dislike for Ortlieb's products and more for the fact that I could only get the bags I wanted from them in black. Not an issue here!

· Old, fat, and slow
1,325 Posts
Now that Mr. Newleaf has seen it .... I can imagine him riding a Firla with a couple trailers behind .... still and video cameras on tripods, with lights, sound-recording gear, spare bike, kayak, camping gear including a 50-gallon cooler and a barbeque grill …. And Chip, of course, riding up front to see all the sights and attract all the attention.

6,197 Posts
Now that Mr. Newleaf has seen it .... I can imagine him riding a Firla with a couple trailers behind .... still and video cameras on tripods, with lights, sound-recording gear, spare bike, kayak, camping gear including a 50-gallon cooler and a barbeque grill …. And Chip, of course, riding up front to see all the sights and attract all the attention.
You, Sir, appear to know me a bit too well :eek::ROFLMAO:.

6,197 Posts
Last summer, I made a combined cycling and paddling expedition on a local river. Everything worked well except my paddle board's so-called 'touring skeg' proved too long for the water's depth. About halfway through my float, it was torn off by rocks on a drop. Paddling was less fun after that, but still nice.

With these, I hope to do the trip again, perhaps even with a friend.
Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Input device Font
Behold, NRS' 'Grass' and 'All Water' skegs. I purchased one of their 'white water' skegs last year and found it to be so small that it was only marginally better than paddling with no skeg at all. I hope that one or both of these types will prove more effective without getting dangerously deep. If the grass skeg works well, I'll add a 2nd for Mrs. Newleaf.

This is actually if loosely bike related because a bike is an integral part of my solo paddling: I drive with a bike to the take-out point I want to use, then leave the car and ride the bike home using the trail which runs alongside the river. Back home, I swap bike for board and wander to the put-in point. It'll be a few months before I get to try these out, but it's nice to have something to look forward to.

6,197 Posts
On a more bikey front, here are the new bags:
Purple Magenta Tints and shades Electric blue Pattern
Top tube bag.

Purple Creative arts Magenta Electric blue Art
Handlebar pack.

Sleeve Bag Magenta Strap Electric blue

Leg Purple Pink Bag Magenta
Finally, the trunk bag.

I have now installed all but the handlebar pack. The top tube bag is a bit large for the Ice Cream Truck's abbreviated middle triangle, but the difference is small enough that I think it'll work fine. Toying with the idea of carrying a Camelbak bladder in there.

The trunk bag installed easily and is significantly more capacious while simultaneously being far lighter than the Topeak clamp-on rig it replaces. The handlebar pack, as expected, interferes with all the cables :D. I can almost see how to handle that, but it's not clicking just yet. Will likely check out a few YT vids this evening.

Sorry, no installed pics today. The wind outside is absolutely insane. The news is reporting gusts of over 65mph. Pics soon.

6,197 Posts
Burley Coho XC 16+ (16x3") wheel and fat bike 'Burley Ballz' thru-axle.
Shipping box Paper bag Gas Font Beige

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Gas
The +rim is significantly wider than the stock version. The tire looks significantly wider despite the fact that it's 'only' 3" in diameter vs. the stock tire's 2.125" diameter.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Font
Here is where it gets annoying: the two skewers are marked as being of identical size. I purchased the size I did based on advice from the shop where I bought the bike. Accounting for the extra length imparted by the 'Burley Ballz' on either end of the new one, the two thru-axles seem to be of equal length. Spoiler alert: they are not. The Burley axle is better than an inch too long. Somehow.

· Spin Spin Spin
4,424 Posts
Burley Coho XC 16+ (16x3") wheel and fat bike 'Burley Ballz' thru-axle.
View attachment 55737

View attachment 55738 The +rim is significantly wider than the stock version. The tire looks significantly wider despite the fact that it's 'only' 3" in diameter vs. the stock tire's 2.125" diameter.

View attachment 55739 Here is where it gets annoying: the two skewers are marked as being of identical size. I purchased the size I did based on advice from the shop where I bought the bike. Accounting for the extra length imparted by the 'Burley Ballz' on either end of the new one, the two thru-axles seem to be of equal length. Spoiler alert: they are not. The Burley axle is better than an inch too long. Somehow.
Looks like you have some thread to work with but maybe could use 1 or 2 more of those black washers like you have 2 of on the right side to make it work. if you put the end of yours where threads end on new one it seems that it would be similar length.

· Registered
7,720 Posts
On the left, for late next spring, GP5000 700x28
My first attempt at wider tires. This will be a test year.

On the right, GP 4 season. 700x23 (i couldn’t find these wider).
These are great at preventing winter
Shipping box Packaging and labeling Font Carton Box

cinders from reaching my tubes.

I was going to wrap these up and put a label on them, to me from my bicycle. I thought my boys would find that funny. My wife did not find it funny when I was telling her and she asked me not to wrap them. I said fine, that’ll save me time and I’ve got my gift anyway.

6,197 Posts
Looks like you have some thread to work with but maybe could use 1 or 2 more of those black washers like you have 2 of on the right side to make it work. if you put the end of yours where threads end on new one it seems that it would be similar length.
You're right, there is plenty of thread left. There isn't plenty of depth in the nut which corresponds to the threads. Burley suggests using spacers to make up the difference. They didn't include any spacers, but in any case a gap of more than an inch seems less like a spacer thing and more like a right-size-part thing. Perhaps I'm also making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm new to thru axles and open to other views.

6,197 Posts
Not exactly bike related, but somewhat amusing nevertheless: I set out to order one single bottle of Testors 'liquid cement for plastic models' as a part of a Christmas gift for one of my brothers. Also ordered paints, tools, and so on. Most were ordered from different online suppliers after local sources proved to have surprisingly depleted stocks.

Yesterday we received the first of the glue. Seemed like it came in an awfully big box. Sure enough, the supplier didn't get the order quite right:
Liquid Fluid Drinkware Medicine Material property

Instead of one single bottle of glue for under $5, we received a case of 12 bottles for the same price. At the very most, I have use for two bottles: one for me, the other for its part of the planned gift for my brother.

Returning it appears to out of the question due to the product's hazardous nature and special packaging requirements. Such as they are. I'm wondering if there are any local groups which might benefit from the stuff. I don't build many models these days, but even when I did and applied glue with childish abandon, a small supply went quite a long way. I'd have to set out to fill the house with models to even have a hope of using all this. I'm not certain how Mrs. Newleaf would feel about that many models on display, but pretty sure I don't need to ask ;).

They do have a way of building up when not reduced by fireworks and BB gun assaults post-build. Ahh, childhood :D.

7161 - 7180 of 7195 Posts