Your name on your helmet?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by chh55, Oct 23, 2009.

1. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I'm a very active member of my club, serving as a group leader 3 times a week on training rides. We are quite disciplined when it comes to our pacelines and since we are open to non-members my role includes a lot of instruction in technique and routines. I have my name prominantly displayed on the back of my helmet so that newbies will quickly learn who I am. Our club has over 170 members (all of whom know my name!) and I have tried through repeated threads on our own forum to start a trend toward everyone putting their names on their helmets. On the forum I get a few replies like "oh that's a good idea!" and then nothing happens. With so many members it's impossible to learn and remember everyones' name. Some folks who I've gotten quite friendly with during the rides remain, to my embarassment nameless! Now I figure I know them too well to ask "what's your name again?"
    I think the whole social aspect of the club plus a lot of practical issues would be improved and simplified if everyone put their name on their helmet.

My question for you all is.. Why the resistance to this? Is it too nerdy? If so am I a hopeless biker nerd? Shall I take my name off my helmet? Would you put your name on your helmet? Comments please!

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My BMX helmet has a sticker that says "I've been a bad boy", but no name.

3. ghostrider

ghostrider Guest

You could just mnemonically remember people's names by what random helmet sticker they want bring a catalogue of stickers... if thats your goal :) Just seems like people would want to be more hip by having a picture of some dorky thing instead I put flame stickers on my helmet and a roadrunner

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I think it's a good Idea. You should purchase some cheap stencils and pass them around. I hate it after a few months when people try to act like they know you but still call you dude and man.

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Dude, I agree.

6. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Yeah that's what I'm talking about!

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I've been wondering why people keep calling me "Giro.";)

8. bohunker

bohunker Guest

I recall a warning on my helmet about not putting stickers on, something about damaging the outer shell.
    I would not putting my name on the back of my helmet.