Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been thinking about a gravel bike. I found this guy while looking at a Mason Bokeh frameset. He’s an IT guy living in Japan who’s a complete bike geek. I’ve watched maybe 10 of his vids. He’s pretty unassuming, with a painstaking attention to detail. I’ve learned a few things. He has a prolific amount of content. Maybe you’ll find him enjoyable.

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
I've thought about gravel many times. To actually ride any "real" gravel would require a few hours of travel.

If anybody has been here long enough to remember @Xela he's almost 100% gravel out in Arkansas. I see his rides on Strava everyday

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I thought he and Kristen moved out to Arizona or New Mexico? I see a lot of his Strava rides out west.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I'm like rola, for me to go gravel riding would require drive time since most of the gravel roads around me are all on state or private property. I would have to drive to the Green Swamp or Croom Management Areas to do any serious gravel riding.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Same here - I'd have to drive somewhere to find any significant gravel. Though if I did I could ride a lot of gravel as there are a ton of new roads along a hill/ridge some distance away where they built wind towers and created brand new gravel roads leading to each section. One LBS was planning on doing a gravel grinder there but COVID nixed that.

It would be fun to try a day of gravel though.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
I ride gravel but tend to use a super light mtb with thin tires. The roads here can be chunky and or sandy. Actual gravel bikes are just super sketchy and rough on them. I do have a cyclocross bike that works well on the smoother ones. The gravel thing seems awesome for a way to get out of traffic but in my experience it isn’t the same as road riding nor mtb. Kinda fun but could never replace road rides for me.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,819 Posts
I enjoy the flexibility, comfort and heartiness of my Fuji Tread 1.0 gravel bike to handle trails, gravel, road or whatever. The 700x37 WTB All Terrains make it more comfortable for all day rides on pavement with much less stress over imperfections and debris than on my road bike with 700x25s. My gravel bike is my go to for road rides. The road bike is a dusty cobweb farm garage ornament for most part, lol.
Tread_11.jpg
Tread_32.jpg
20170225_140803.jpg
20170225_143116.jpg
20170225_140702.jpg
Tread_01.JPG
Tread_03.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts